Friday, September 24, 2010

Happy Punctuation Day!



It's that time of year again, when we dust off our apostrophes, polish our colons and have a drink with our old friend, the question mark. That's right - today, September 24, is NATIONAL PUNCTUATION DAY.

I wanted my daughter to write this post, since she is the true punctuation/spelling geek in our family, but she's at work. In the meantime, here's a toast to all of you who cringe when a hyphen is left out, sigh when your editor removes every semi-colon and have palpitations when you read freestyle prose with - shock! horror! - no punctuation at all.

This is the one day of the year we can celebrate our geekdom and find others like us. I'll be the first to admit I love commas and em-dashes a little more than I should, but while I pepper my speech with enthusiastic words, I rarely use exclamation points when I write. I'd love to hear from you all -- (damn, how do I make an em-dash on Blogger?). So tell me, what are your favorite, and least favorite, punctuation marks?


No comments:

Post a Comment